Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Backpack Journalism: here to stay, somewhat....

I tend to agree more with Jane Stevens that backpack journalism is here to stay--to some extent. I think expecting a single person to be able to do every single aspect of a story is setting yourself up for failure. Although I think a journalist can be good at everything with the right training, I agree with Martha Stone that having one person cover an event well. Not only can they miss different angles and different perspectives, a journalist stretched too thin can't possibly do their best work. I think that while it's important to be able to do everything so that one can be a part of a team, like Stevens suggested, so that someone who specializes in video or writing can do that first, but also work together with others to create a balanced package. The idea of being required, as a journalist, to control every single detail of a multimedia story is a little daunting to me, although I think it's possible--it just wouldn't result in my best work.

No comments: