Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cleanliness is goodliness

By Tara Cavanaugh

It's occurred to me lately that the latest fad in web design is "clean." I work for newsy.com, and we recently unveiled a whole new website that looks a lot like hulu. It's so clean you could eat off of it. I've found that the better websites out there are uncluttered and easy to navigate-- neat, tidy and clean.
The chapters we read for this week reinforced this clean ideal. I like how they spelled out exactly how to create a pristine site-- consistency was a big thing, as were simple pages that were simple to figure out what's going on. The chapters also made some "duh" points: don't provide a link to nothing, and make sure there are no orphan pages. These are things that I think we should all be aware of, but are easily forgotten.
Overall, here's what I'll keep in mind as we create our final projects: less is more, and consistency is key.

No comments: