Thursday, November 20, 2008

Finding the Balance

I think Flash is a great tool to utilize in a webpage. It gives the reader a sense of connection to the story, instead of allowing them to read without actually comprehending what they're reading throughout the process. It's like in class, when a teacher is lecturing but has given out the powerpoint slides or the notes or whatever beforehand, so the students don't have to actively participate. We completely zone out and do other things. Interactive graphics not only force the reader to pay attention, but they're also entertaining. It's a more exciting way to receive the information than just reading it in paragraph or bullet form, and I feel like it sticks with me better because I actually payed attention to what I was doing and remember what I clicked on or rolled over to view which piece of information.
Howerever, I do think there has to be a balance. The information can't be complicated or confusing or put in a weird formation, even if that way looks more creative. If a user can't make sense of the graphic then it's not going to do them any good to have it in front of their face.

No comments: