Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Simple is Best - Tomeka Weatherspoon

I think there is a tendency to overdue Web page formatting because we live in such a highly visual culture. Things that capture our attention are visually pleasing, even entertaining. In the design process, it’s tempting to overdo the 'decorations.' When I was making my first Web page, I feared it would be too boring. Viewers naturally wouldn’t pay attention to the content because the page was too dull.

But being sophisticated doesn’t always mean being boring. Being simple and clear doesn’t mean unattractive. Not always.

Playing around on Dreamweaver, I tried to organize things out in unique ways. Then I'd always go back to a more simple layout. I found that it's easier and more appealing when the viewer doesn't have to try to understand the mechanics of your Web page. If they come to the site for information, it's best to give it to them in the way that is most clear. The page will end up looking tidy and professional. It can have some special design elements, but too much tends to make the viewer question the credibility of your information. 

No comments: