Thursday, November 6, 2008

Good and Bad Design

I suppose I've always noticed when a website is set up in a "user-friendly" style so that I am able to find my way around it with a limited amount of stress. I've also noticed when a website is really bad, or very basic. But I never really thought much about it, besides being appreciative that my task was made a little easier or annoyed that I had to spend hours searching or finding another website. After reading the chapters and discussing design in class, I now find myself picking every website I come to apart, asking myself if I like or dislike things about it, what seems to be the most user friendly way to do things, or how I would change certain aspects. You have officially ruined my casual web browsing. Thanks.
The biggest thing I've noticed is that simplicity seems to be the best way to go about things. Even the readings suggest that. You can make something look cool, but still keep it basic and probably end up with more people viewing your site because they don't have to hunt for things, or can easily move from page to page and follow the flow of information. I also noticed that a lot of what the book suggests and what I notice seem like they shouldn't have to be pointed out. Things need to line up on the page, don't pick colors that won't contrast, etc, etc. Part of me doesn't understand how someone could make a website and think that doing the opposite of some of these things is ok, even without any training. But I suppose creative genius can't be questioned. Until their business/organization/whatever gets no support because no one can figure out the website.

No comments: