Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ramblings from a designer

A design student myself, I notice a lot of good/bad designs in my daily life while surfing the web. It's a pretty well-known fact that if a site is poorly designed, it attracts less people. If the colors aren't eye-catching, there's no creativity, loads of text, it's a turn off. The saying "less is more" definitely applies to design, as far as I'm concerned. The purpose of design is to compliment and highlight the content, not distract from the content. I've learned this when I designed for newspapers and my high school yearbook.

One good example of web design is in a website called zipatoni.com. The website is dedicated to the Zipatoni business, an advertising agency in St. Louis. Immediately, I was attracted by the design. It is not cluttered, and relies on a simple color scheme, yellow and black. This fulfills the idea of contrast. The words are offset by the stark black background. There are few distracting pictures, allowing the viewer to solely focus on the message of the website. I was impressed by the easy-to-navigate site layout. I could find everything I wanted to know about the company quickly and effectively. I hope to incorporate some of the design on zipatoni.com into my convergence.

No comments: