Thursday, November 20, 2008

Using Flash

After we learned about flash, I stopped by the futures lab the other day to try and get better at this flash business. It was extremely difficult, but it was worthwhile, because I learned of different ways of making rollover graphics. I am very much going to try to include a flash component in my website.

Ever since I was in college, I recall it was 1998, I was engaged in some kind of online website activity. And ever since, design has been of a very important factor for me when I look at websites. The basic dreamweaver page, although effective, has not been appealing to me at all because it showed lack of effort. I think flash is very important in terms of design, because its size stays the same, it does what it's supposed to do, and basically helps design in a million ways.

However, I think one should be more careful when using flash in journalism, because one could be more focused on how a story looks than what a story has to offer. I think one good example was the parking meter article. Although the subject itself was interesting, I think by using flash and putting too much effort to make it look better, the creator might have overlooked some aspects that could have been better. It would be the same goal for me, to use flash in a way to supplement my story, not become the focus of the story.

No comments: