Monday, February 2, 2009

An Enjoyable Read and some Wonderful Views

If David LaBelle is half as good a photographer as he is a writer then he must have taken fantastic photos through out his career. He wrote with a clear, as well as gripping, manner that kept me glued to my computer as I read his advice and wisdom.

After reading, I viewed Street Pictures by David Snider, and I believe I had a much greater appreciation for the pictures than if I had seen them first. The time, effort and skill that must have gone into these fantastic photos boggles the mind. The man must have had extraordinary patience and a keen eye to gather all those excellent shots.

Patience is one of the two things that struck me most when  reading Picture Hunt. A photographer must have a strong will to wait hours just for that right moment. Frankly, I'm fairly certain I'd go insane if I had to sit still for a great length of time just for that one opportune moment that distinguishes a good photo from a truly excellent one. But that is a skill I'm going to have to learn.

The other thing that struck me, networking, ties into patience and is an excellent tool to ensure that long hours waiting do not go wasted. Several eyes looking for good shots seems like it would ease up some of the agonizing over the search of great pictures. And, as we are convergence students, they could quite possibly give us good information for the captions and maybe even the story itself. 

All in all, this was an informative read, and the gallery was a wonderful way to show fine examples of photography. If I can become even a forth as skilled in the art I will consider my time at Mizzou to have been well spent.

No comments: