Monday, February 2, 2009

The Picture Hunt

I looked at David Snider's photographs before reading "The Great Picture Hunt by David LaBelle. Then after reading LaBelle's article, I returned to Snider's photographs and the components in his pictures immediately became apparent. Although LaBelle's advice is evenly discussed, it seems that much of a photojournalist's job is to be prepared, to blend into the environment and to make something of the moment. It wasn't until I read LaBelle's article that I saw composition, humor and emotion in Snider's photographs. If one trait of a photojournalist is to stand out, I think it would be his or her preparation and approach to shooting subjects or events. Second to this, I think patience and a photographer's willingness to be open about ideas even if those ideas don't immediately turn into an assignment - these are the underlying factors that can make a hunt something of a learning opportunity instead of just a hunt. 

No comments: