Monday, February 2, 2009

Photography Response

Farrah Pappa

I loved the way David Snider described the shots he took of his subjects: "I began making pictures that I felt were the ultimate realization of photography's power to record the river of life that flowed all around me". His words allowed me to look at the world in a different perspective and see it as a river whose actions were being captured as they flowed by. I admire his candid photography because one must have real patience and talent to be able to capture the events he does. It takes valor to be able to just take pictures of random people on the street and not worry about their reactions. Some of Snider's pictures invoke emotions of hope and happiness. Others depict a deeper meaning with symbolism to force the viewers to think outside of their comfort zone and view the world in a different angle. His photographs are not only focused on a certain group of people they show all of humanity going about their daily lives, while capturing the precious moments within them.
David LaBelle’s article allowed new photographers to learn how different photographers go about hunting for their feature pictures. I learned an abundance of methods and qualities that one must possess in order to capture the best photo. Curiosity is a huge quality that assists in finding those little details that the average eye wouldn’t discover. After locating those minor features then the photographer can exploit them for all viewers to notice. Blending into one’s surroundings is another technique that I acquired while reading this article. I never realized how important it was to become one with your environment so that nothing is disturbed while you are taking pictures. LaBelle and Snider's work allowed me to realize that I should be more outgoing when obtaining photographs while still keeping an inquisitive eye at the same time.

No comments: