Sunday, October 5, 2008

Editing Psycho

I never realized editing was so psychological. Chapters 2 & 3 of the Eres article opened my eyes as to how editing can almost be considered a science. I learned so many new things about how the audience perceives things and how the eye is sometimes fooled by the editing journalists employ. Journalists need to be careful in how editing is done as not to abandon the key philosophy of not deceiving the audience.

Good video shooting, I found out, must relate to how the eye works. It's fascinating to know that people, when shooting for TV, movies, or news shoot with the knowledge of how the natural eye works, and how best to appeal to that. Establishing the scene, for instance, is what our eye naturally first does, so its nice to know to add a wide establishing shot near or at the very beginning of a piece.

One heading of the chapter read "Composition reveals meaning". After thinking about it for a little bit, I agree with this, in that people or ideas can subliminally be portrayed as inferior or superior simply by where it is in the frame. I found that very interesting.

Journalists tread a fine line between storytelling/interest, and fact, and I think editing practices need to relay a devotion to truth as printwriting does, otherwise people will even more so scrutinize the media.

No comments: