Monday, October 20, 2008

Thinking Critically

One of the things I had trouble with for the thirty second video assignment was time. I had so many good ideas and strong footage, but not enough time to include everything I wanted. I thought about it some more and it became a real conundrum. How does a multiplatform journalist respect the alotted time without sacrificing content? After reading the Poynter online article, I found the answer is pretty clear.

A multimedia journalist must critically analyze what needs to be in the story, and shorten it into a sentence. We must keep a very narrow focus to our stories, or else run the risk of having a forty minute video. It's easy for us a visual storytellers to get distracted with some of the visual schematics of our job. I think to solve my problem I will more closely scrutinize my stories and go in to a story having done more research.

It's important for us to know what angle we're going for. Again, and I've found this throughout my time in this class so far, journalism is very mental. Once we really know what the stories needs, we can better plan for what we will get. I think by reading these articles, I will know how to better manage my time in videos without abandoning sound videographic principles.

No comments: