Monday, March 16, 2009

Remember 5 things

I really liked Poynter's piece. It was succinct and offered straightforward tips for "getting the story told." I most liked when the author listed these tips from a journalist in Tampa: 1) Show who did what, 2) Prove it with images and sound, 3) Get a "gee whiz" moment that surprises, 4) Include genius moments (connect viewer to subject), and 5) Move the camera around and get different angles.
I think these tips are at the heart of what we're really trying to do, anyway. And I think they point out not just ways to get good shots or to create a strong visual story, but I think they are relevant to writing as well. Because when we write our scripts, we need to make sure that we do all of the aforementioned things 1) with good visuals, 2) good sound , and 3) with good narration. Whenever I shoot video again, I'll be sure to think of these 5 things.
--Tara Cavanaugh

No comments: