Wednesday, March 11, 2009

W. Virginia's 'Road To Nowhere' on cnn.com by Jake Carah

I picked this video because I thought the sequences had good detail. The reporter and videographer really showed the vast wasteful expense and seemingly endless lack of direction this empty 4 lane highway in W. Virginia envelopes (the building began as a economic stimulus plan in 1965 and still remains unfinished).  However the dashboard cam shot made me feel cramped with too much light and not enough detail. I thought it was rather original to link a stimulus plan of the past to a spending bill of the present, seeing as how some of the $400 billion plus spending bill will go to trying to complete this forty-four year old transportation debacle. Earmark or not, road or just plain uncompleted, I thought the constant shots of traveling down unspecified roads a little agitating and a tad repetitive. Again this could have been a device used by the reporter to convey a sense of incredulousness over the wasteful spending going on in our country. If this is the case I think that it is a form of persuasion that should be avoided even if the argument itself is going somewhere in terms of addressing a larger issue, but that's just my opinion.

video can be found here: http://www.cnn.com/video/?iref=videoglobal

No comments: