Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Video vs. Text and how they differ

I watched an article on FOXNEWS about how a man's suicide note lead the police to the body of missing model. Lisa Davis, a model, who has been missing since Sunday was found by clues mentioned in Austin Agee's suicide note. The video was very informative actually, which I was surprised to see. Many times videos leave their audience with many questions because of the limited amount of airtime they have. But this video was three minutes long and was able to explain all the essentials of the story.

I was provided with information on when Lisa went missing, and who reported her disappearance. I was given the places that she was last seen at and with whom. The connection between her and Austin Agee was also explained as well as information the police gathered thus far on the investigation. I think this video did a good job in telling the subjects of the story, the what, where, where, when, and how in the short amount of time it had. The audience was also hearing from two reporters one that was reporting the story, and another who was actually in the location of where the body was found. So the audience was able to hear from a bystander and from someone that was there at the scene.

I don’t think this story necessarily needs improvement, but I do think if it were in print we would have more detailed information on the case. But this is obvious because of the time constraint that videos have, reporters aren’t given enough time to always provide the audience with every detail. I think if this story were in text we would have more information on the investigation of Lisa Davis with quotes from the police and main investigators in the case. I also think that we would be able to know more background information on the two subjects, Lisa Davis and Austin Agee. Others that were seen last with Lisa and Austin the night they all hung out could have also provided quotes.

But other than those detail pieces I think the video did an excellent job relaying all the important information that the audience needed to know about the story. I was not left with questions that were essential to my understanding of the story.

No comments: