Monday, March 2, 2009

Staging by Brandon Twichell

Dave Wertheimer's article about staging photographs is very important for journalism today. It surprised me that professional photographers are starting to "trend" in this direction. Have they not taken any photojournalism or journalism ethics classes?
I do not see why photographers are staging in the first place. Is there really nothing else happening that they cannot take pictures of something other than what they want? What happened to creativity and thinking outside the box? I have run into this problem before, where I do not see exactly what I would like to photograph. That's when I get creative and start thinking of other potential photo ideas for my story! It ends up working in my favor every time, too. Staging is completely unnecessary, and I believe that there is always a natural photo for every assignment.

No comments: