Thursday, March 12, 2009

Video Response--Tara Cavanaugh

I watched a BBC broadcast on YouTube. It covered the news that the Iraqi man who threw his shoes at President Bush was just sentenced to three years in prison.

It was a compelling video, with excellent use of narration, previous clips (previous video of the man actually throwing his shoes was shown several times), and clips of the current situation. I also liked that the reporter limited his time in front of the camera. He didn't need to do much explaining or narration; the video clips themselves told the story very well. And when he was on camera, the background was a riot-- he was on the scene!

I actually heard the audio of this story on NPR's hourly update this morning. It is much different when the images are included-- sure, I heard that many Iraqis regard the man as a hero, but I was able to see on the video the scope of the riots, and a woman crying as she heard the verdict.

The BBC also included footage of Bush's response to the shoe-throwing that I hadn't seen before, despite the wide coverage of the incident when it first happened. He told everyone to calm down, and said "It doesn't bother me." The BBC included footage of the Iraqi journalist before this happened, too, which I thought was interesting reporting.

No comments: