Wednesday, September 3, 2008

'The Great Picture Hunt'

I really enjoyed David LaBelle's "The Great Picture Hunt" because of its practical suggestions and, of course, the photos.
I came to appreciate the importance of captions tonight as I came to the end of the PDF. The final picture shows a moose, presumably the one that, only a page before, was up and running from police, still and on the ground.
I was so afraid that it was dead, but upon reading the previous caption, discovered it had merely been tranquilized and moved elsewhere. Whew.
It was mentioned in class on Tuesday and again in the reading, but talking to sources and networking seems to be key. Great photo ideas can emerge from this, and these conversations lend themselves to rich captions. I'm guessing that conversation also helps put photo subjects at ease with you, the photographer, standing around and waiting, as the reading suggests, for that perfect moment.
I think that when I do my assignment for next week, I'll try to ask my subjects about what it is they're doing, or things they're very comfortable with, that they know like the backs of their hands, which takes the conversation off of them and onto the things they're familiar with, their work. That way, it becomes easier for the subject (and me as the photographer, for that matter) to talk about ourselves without being totally put on the spot.
I'll also plan to keep an eye on my ideas, and perhaps do some brainstorming about photo possibilities in advance. It never hurts to have a game plan.

No comments: