Thursday, September 4, 2008

Photography and Me

Photography has never really been my gig.  I've never even owned a camera, let alone heard of things like "Shutterspeed" and ISO.  So one can imagine how LaBelle and Snider might be speaking a foreign language, in my ears (or in this case, eyes).

However, after giving these articles and pictures a once-over, I can say with a semblance of confidence that I might possess some aspects that help photographers thrive.  Take LaBelle's nostalgic recalling of his childhood in the forest, "hunting" for whatever.  That was me.  Except take those woods and switch in a little concrete, metal and tar.  Maybe some greens in my mother's garden or my father's nicely manicured lawn.  Yeah, I was a suburban sightseer.  My mother would often realize that it was 4:20 in the afternoon on a school day in 3rd or 4th grade and I was nowhere to be found.  She'd scramble out of the house to find the seat of my pants sticking up as I examined whatever insects or foliage had emerged while I was in class.  Curiosity is one of my fortes. 

Another thing that clicked when I was reading LaBelle's article was his observations on the necessity of the preparedness of the photographer.  Being an Eagle Scout, I'm familiar with laundry lists of items organized solely for the purpose of living up to the Scout Motto.

I also found it amusing to see many of the elements of "good" photography play themselves out in Snider's catalogue.  Be it a humorous moment, simplicity, interaction, angle, or whatever.

No comments: