Tuesday, September 23, 2008

great stories, Adderall my favorite

I really liked these KBIA stories because they showed great examples of stories we can do as students.  The stories we saw in class were fascinating and very well done, but I'm not on the level where I would be able to edit all those clips and write a story that flowed like theirs.  These stories were examples of great stories that students have done that I could see myself doing as well.
The Neuticals story was hilarious, I'm sorry.  I think what made it so funny was that it was NPR-style which is very serious but it was pertaining to this weird subject.  I liked that the journalist kept it light though by using phrases like, "it costs 900 bones".  That way I didn't feel completely ridiculous laughing because it was written to be entertaining.  I also liked the Mario Manzini story although it took me a while to get into it.  However, after it got towards the middle of the narration (especially the part about the dad giving him the gun) I could really see the beginning and middle of the story.  By the end I appreciated the start he took and could fully see the whole picture.
My favorite story was about the prescription drug Adderall which I knew somewhat about, but I had no idea as many people used it.  The journalistic aspect I really appreciated about this story was that the journalist localized it.  So many times in our classes they stress that point, but it's really hard to do.  This guy took the time to track down some local people and experts and related it right back to your average MU student.  Even though I'm not familiar with much of the drug scene here, I could imagine sitting next to that guy in class who takes these drugs just by listening to his story.  I thought this piece was very well done.
I would have liked to hear some more stories with natural sound though.  The story about the fake dog testicles had some in there, but in most of these stories it was basically the journalist speaking.  I'll try to look for some of those in the following days.  By the way...is Alex Grigsby THE Gary Grigsby's son? I'll have to ask him tomorrow!

No comments: