Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Unwritten Language

Everyone has heard the saying “a picture is worth 1000 words.” After scrolling through David Snider’s photography album, I can say I could probably write at least 1000 words about each photograph, but I’ll spare everyone that travesty. David Snider has successfully captured, with the help of his trusty camera, poignant street scenes unlike others I have seen. To me, Snider has written a language compiled of images, faces, actions, and emotions. The photos in the album are no mere Facebook pictures. No amateur, like myself, could attempt photos like these. Snider has the unique ability to, with his art, reveal the true story behind each person in his photos.

I think what we, as amateur photojournalists, should strive for is what Snider exemplifies so well. We need to tell the story of the photo subject. One photo in his catalogue comes to mind immediately. The photo captures two people using canes to feel their way along the sidewalk. I am assuming these people are at least partially blind. They’ve come to a crosswalk, but halt at the street, waiting until they have some sign to cross. What is so unique in the photo is that hanging right above them is a crosswalk sign that is flashing the clear to cross signal. To me, it shows the plight of visually disabled people in America. We live in a very visual world, but not everyone has the ability to enjoy this world.

Another point we can take away from Snider is his ability to talk across differences (sorry for the Cross Cultural throw-back). We see him capturing people from different races, religion, age, class, etc. He gets on the level of the people. By doing so, he gains the trust and respect of subjects, I would assume. Taking lessons from Snider is important, because he is able to convey a complete message through just one image.

No comments: