Thursday, September 25, 2008

I can imagine myself smiling in the driver’s seat of my car

I chose to listen to the Mario Manzini story because it was a name I recognized from an ad I saw in a website somewhere – it claimed that you can hire Manzini for your wedding. The story itself was one where a bit of humor was melted down into the interviews (probably because Manzini is just a very outgoing and funny person), one that might leave you with a faint smile while driving your car.

While listening to the approximately 4:30 story, I had the feeling that this was a profile story of a person, but one that was determined to emphasize interesting aspects, even if it meant skipping through his life a whole lot. However, I still thought that it had all the essential information in it, such as what Manzini does and how well he does it, some portfolio of gigs, and a simple but interesting life story.

What I really liked about KBIA’s story version of Mario Manzini was that it was very appropriate for the local people here, mentioning that he currently lives in Columbia, and also mentioning a couple of familiar names for CoMo residents such as Moberly and the Lake of the Ozarks. I think by starting off with what a great escapologist Manzini is with all his performances in NYC and Las Vegas and narrowing down to the local area level probably would have gained more attention of the ears here.

Relating to what we learned in class, I think the part where the narrator describes the outer appearance of Manzini was a perfect example of sound being the catalyst for more imagination. The story mentioned his Brutus-like appearance and Italian accent. Although I have no idea what he looks like, I now have a distinct image of him in my head.

No comments: