Thursday, September 4, 2008

I just sit in awe. (Kate Chizek)

"It's not the heat, it's the timidity." David Snider's pictures of strangers wow me. Honestly, his detail shot of a rosary in a man's hand display the dedication of an older person to their faith. The different situations he captures leave me envious. I wish I could capture such things in France and on the streets of New York. But what he says about capturing strangers is something I can actually understand as an unexperienced journalists - I am afraid to simply take photos of people without their permission. I want to shoot "timeless and precious photos," but I think I need to grow a backbone. I am too hesitant to simply snap photos of a stranger. I know I need to overcome this.

As I begin to pinpoint my convergence project, these words of David LaBelle in "Picture Hunt" hit me most: "Simple, uncluttered images . . . are easy to read because the reader doesn't have to hunt for the message. These pictures are called 'quick reads.'" This speaks to what my photography friends have always told me about pictures. I have borrowed their cameras and tried to capture emotion and original phots, but they always tell me I need to step back. I don't need multiple subjects in a photo. Rather, like LaBelle says, simple pictures help you to see the moment, rather than give you a whole background story of the situation. I hope to sit back and let my subjects do the talking. Hopefully I can achieve this in 4802.

No comments: