Thursday, September 25, 2008

I really enjoyed each of the three KBIA stories.  None of them had a lot of ambient sound, but they were obviously quality pieces nonetheless.  I really liked the incorporation of the dogs barking in the neuticles clip, especially because I tried to do the same thing in my first sound bite.  It was such an interesting story because it was so weird. I didn’t know these neuticals existed!  He had a lot of facts, yet he included them in a comical way.  I was surprised to hear that he interviewed the vet that lives down the street from me at home. It was also perfect that it was a whimpering dog at the end, since he was portrayed as such a prima donna dog who even drinks bottled water.

The story about Mario Manzini was crazy.  The reporter did a great job of storytelling and giving a slice of life.  Manzini’s life is so different from anything I’ve personally experienced.  It was especially interesting to hear how Manzini said he has never been that comfortable in constraint and that sometimes he starts panicking and getting really claustrophobic.  I also found it funny how he said that he might as well die the way he likes…getting out of a straightjacket. 

I liked the Adderall one too.  It was very localized.  He  had a well-rounded group of interviews including students involved in the sales and buying of Adderall, doctors, professionals, and studies.  He probably couldn’t have gotten such honest feedback if he hadn’t had let the student sources be anonymous.  I think he could have included some audio of pouring out pills or shaking them in the bottle though, since that is a pretty distinct sound.

No comments: