Thursday, September 4, 2008

photo j really is an art!

I am one of those people that absolutely loves photographs. I believe it's truly an art to be able to capture a particular moment in a single photo, and that it's not a gift everyone has. The first point about curiosity being a great characteristic for great photos really stood out to me. I think curiosity is one of the main qualities that makes a great journalist, so why not a photojournalist as well? This is something I hope to enhance as I continue my journalism career. While I am a hard-worker and I pay great attention to details, I think that natural curiosity for things beyond your own world is something I will have to cultivate within.
An aspect of finding a good feature was preparedness, which I am proud to say is a great quality of mine. Backing up your work (whether by saving or double checking those facts), starting projects on time, and staying organized are skills I love having. Although this applies in a different way to photographers, I think being prepared is a skill benefits all careers, but especially journalists.
From the second chapter, I really like the parts about catching the emotions of people. It's a difficult thing to do, but when accomplished really speaks to people. The areas of composition and humor were a little harder to grasp, but I think it's because I'm a beginner.
My favorite part of this week's readings by far were the photographs by David Snider. My favorite photo was the one of the children on some sort of bridge on a swing set in the park. This was partially due to it being children, but also because it really caught their emotion. One child is crying, another is staring blankly away, and so on. Children are not reserved in their emotions and I think this photo did a great job of showing that. I can't wait to take my own pictures next week!

No comments: