Thursday, September 25, 2008

KBIA Stories

These stories were interesting, and certainly done well. But I'm not sure I noticed many of the things we talked about in class for writing for the ear. In fact, I didn't find most of the checklist in the stories, or if items were there wasn't a lot of a particular point (ex: natural sound). I don't think this neccessarily detracted from the stories, but I do wonder if it could have made them better or kept listeners more interested. Perhaps after journalists reach a certain point these guidelines become less important, and while some stories probably don't need any extra help, I still think it wouldn't hurt to throw some in and see if it didn't make the story better.
I like the informal aspect of writing for the ear, and the more I listen to examples of it the more I think I prefer that to newsprint, at least for the less serious aspects of the news or those I don't need to remember direct quotes from at a later date. It makes the journalist feel like more of a person, and more like they're writing (or speaking in this case) for you individually vs for everyone who reads the paper. Basically it makes the story feel more personal, something I think people appreciate in a time when most interaction we have with the media is for mass audiences

No comments: