Wednesday, September 24, 2008

KBIA Stories

We talked a lot in class about utilizing "ambient" sound within the radio medium. I felt that the KBIA story about getting pets nurtured was a prime example of this. Being a dog owner myself, I enjoyed hearing the dogs' barks in the background. I am not a frequent radio listener - I am more of a visual stimulated person, but I felt like I could imagine the dogs easily with this use of background sound. It connected me further into a story, one that I may not have listened to otherwise.

Additionally, the radio/television news medium requires conversational writing. I think the Adderall story was a prime example of this. Each of the interviewees were your "everyday" type of people - college students that just wanted passing grades and adults worried about the side effects of drug abuse. It was a relatable story, and I felt that it was pieced together well. As Rueben said in class, radio is not all about having a set script. Rather, you can piece clips together well and achieve great radio spots. Editing is vital, and they did a good job within this piece. I was surprised that they used an anonymous source within the clip because you want to be able to attribute your facts. Luckily, it worked out well - without her, the story may have skipped vital information.

Lastly, since radio spots are all about the ear and you have to make accurate descriptions the FIRST time around, I thought the Mario Manzini story was written well. I could actually imagine him trying out these stunts! My favorite quote, and what I think I will end this post on, was about how "sooner or later we all die anyway, [he] would rather die in a straight jacket." This made me laugh and made the piece more memorable!

No comments: